Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Hunger Games: Mockingjay is the most anticipated movie for 2014

This does not surprise me in the least.  Although the usual critics give it the  brush off on their bests of lists for 2013, I’ve placed Catching Fire squarely at the top  followed by Gravity.  (Note:  I have not seen every film out there.  As of yet, nobody has invited me to a bunch of free screenings so I see what I can, when I can, and when I can afford to). 

But despite having some heavy duty underlying themes throughout the film that the Hollywood elitists continue to ignore (How can a movie that makes that much money be about anything but pure entertainment?!), it will be ignored at awards ceremonies everywhere.  Yet, Catching Fire has a lofty 89 per cent approval by critics counted at Rotten Tomatoes.  So go ahead, explain it to  me.

From Hollywood Reporter:

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire topped Fandango's 2012 most-anticipated movies list. It went on to become the top-selling movie in Fandango history, surpassing the previous record-holder, Avatar. The film -- starring Jennifer Lawrence andJosh Hutcherson -- was a box office smash when it opened in the U.S. in November, earning $158.1 million in its domestic debut to set a new November opening record (Twilight: New Moon held the previous record at $142.8 million). The following weekend -- Thanksgiving -- Catching Fire earned $110 million over five days, and $74.5 million of that during the traditional weekend frame, setting a new record for both the three-day and five-day Thanksgiving weekend. It has earned a stunning $765.3 million worldwide to date.

Mockingjay -- Part 1, the third of four films based on Suzanne Collins' popular YA novels, will hit theaters Nov. 21, 2014. Mockingjay -- Part 2 will follow one year later, Nov. 20, 2015.

There's also the usual assortment of favorite lists that I don't care about at the end of the article. Use the same link.  And Amazon is taking pre-orders on the Catchin Fire blu-ray if you want to turn off your adblocker and order one as I already have.  Thanks I appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment